Monday, October 22, 2012

So one of my posts got deleted and I just saw so…..

When I was younger it was my dream to become President, but of course as the saying goes "never tell your dreams to a stranger"….I did just that and they were broken by a security guard in front of the white house that immediately stated after looking at my obviously foreign parents "but sweetie you weren't born here, you can't be president if you weren't born in America." In that moment, clenching to my white teddy bear I named George Washington, I began to cry hysterically. In that moment i decided that I would become a future first lady. Until I saw a powerful first lady like Hilary Clinton, then  I realized all that a woman could accomplish in power. So then why do first ladies matter so much during the election?



Well, when it comes speeches, emphasis is put on the first lady's speeches because they allow the viewers of America to get a more human vision of the candidates, especially in the case of someone like Mitt Romney who some criticize to be robotic. Ann Romney's speech was filled with remarks about Willard's home life and his parenting style, bringing us in personally, the way we've gotten to know Barack Obama for the past 4 years.

Fortunately, I got the chance over the summer to see Michelle Obama not just speak on the television, but in person in Miami. The whole time she entertained the crowd with anecdotes about Mister Obama's graying hair and how the pair had just paid off their student loans. First ladies give that opportunity to connect at another level beyond at what we see with the presidents.

Not only do First Ladies give us an inside look into the candidates' characters, but they can become active themselves. Not only Hilary Clinton, but Nancy Reagan with her anti-drug campaign "Just Say No" and Eleanor Roosevelt's active part in the civil rights movement.

Luckily for Michelle and unluckily for Ann, Michelle has had the four years experience showing off her activism through her healthy eating campaigns by going on shows like Sesame Street and being portrayed on iCarly and The Simpsons, having exposure on multiple media outlets.

Other than that, since the days of my favorite Jackie Kennedy, first lady's can be represented as style icons, and quintessential icons of the time. As a first lady you are not just a wife, but you have a strong position and are a figure head for all women. 

No comments:

Post a Comment